I love divination. Divination is more than just tarot or oracle cards. It covers many different modalities and tools. When we engage with these tools for the purpose of seeking wisdom or to connect to the divine we are practising divination.
Divination is something most of us have done at some point in our lives, whether we have looked for signs before applying for a job to know if we will be successful, or decided that if our latest crush calls in the next ten minutes then we’ll definitely go on that date.
I looked up the “definition” of divination. Wikipedia describes it as;
“(from Latin divinare, ‘to foresee, to foretell, to predict, to prophesy’, related to divinus, ‘divine‘)…is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of a…standardized process or ritual. Used in various forms throughout history, diviners ascertain their interpretations of how a querent should proceed by reading signs, events, or omens, or through alleged contact with a supernatural agency.”
There are a lot of technical words in there, but what does it really mean?
For me, a more everyday format might be helpful. Let’s imagination divination is a cake that I want to bake. What do I need to include, how can I put it together?
You will need:
- One supernatural being (this could be a deity, spirit guide, ancestor, angel, your own inner wisdom or a gathering of these).
- One querent (the person asking the question, this could be you)
- A divination tool (tarot cards, runes, witch stones, charms, bird in flight, clouds and so forth)
- A question
- Create a sacred space. Do this by breathing in, saying a prayer, lighting a candle, making a cup of tea, turning off your phone, laying out a cloth, or all of the above.
- Prepare your tool/s
- Welcome your querent into the space (whether physically or virtually)
- Agree the question
- Ask the question
- Lay out your cards, pick your runes, throw your charms, cast your bones.
- Read the answer in consultation with your querent
- Check in with your querent
- Say thank you to your divine/ spiritual helpers
- Close the space
You can practice divination when you’re out in nature, noticing the plants and animals around you, or looking for patterns in the sand at the beach. You can choose to use tools such as tarot cards or charms. However you do it divination is a wonderful way to engage with your spiritual support team and be active creators of our life-path, unlocking our own magic, taking the wheel and steering our course forwards.